Sunday, August 22, 2010

Broken bits, Rain,Toaka,Pukkelpop and Clubbing

Apologies for the lateness of my post as I have been alittle lazy of late.
Straight to the racing!Last week I woke up and said to myself that it was about time to turn the Switch on for a couple of races and actually ride my bike with anger for once this season.
I am well aware that my prep for this racing block, probaly wasnt one of my finest with no racing for 13 months and little aggresive training.
So off to west flanders I went to tackle a flat 120km race which would suit me to a tee.......well.As soon as the flag dropped the pace was on and on the first flat section the pace hit 62kph and the 140 of us riders were strung out into one painful line....i felt ok and after a few laps I decided to move up and get into the move....thats when my switch got turned off to the loud bang of my rear cosmic carbone spoke breaking and my bike loosing control as my wheel went spacko and nearly tossing me off as i tried to still race,after deciding that I didnt want to be the guy to bring the bunch down I kindly pulled out and into the Cafe.

A few days later I had the chance to race the local hometown race and decided to again turn some type of switch on.....probaly my first mistake as in the lead up to the race Belgium decided it would rain and then some for the next 36 hours.
Normally I would be running to the warmth of my couch and settling down to watch another romantic comedy and forget about cycling but as JoJo was more excited for his hometown race thn a pickled Ham at christmas I decided to pin on a number and try to harden up.
With the rain getting heavier as we approached the start I began thinking why Cam? why? But with every Belgian friend I have being at the race to try and cheer JoJo and I on, I knew I needed to atleast race 1 lap.
As soon as the whistle blew I decided to attack and see if anyone would come along for a few pain laps and was lucky to get 3 suckers to join me.
It became obvious that the only one in alot of pain on the first lap was me and my ego was quickly shut down.To say us Aussies are not really good at riding in the wet is an understatemnet and I freaked out alittle with the conditions and the fact that I could hardly see with what felt like every piece of dirt and grit in Belgium was in my eyes I decided to pull out of the race.I was looked upon by Belgians as a big wuss who had no heart.....NOT FAR WRONG and again quickly run for the shelter of my shower and again the local Cafe.
JoJo wenton to finish a strong 18th place as he rapidly improves...but he will never win unless he starts to pull his shorts down alittle as short shorts only have a place in an 80s gay club.

My new lady


One of the plans for this trip was to got to the music festival pukkelpop (pronounced pookelpop) the line up was impressive and I was excited to see Iron Maiden live as its just one of those things you can you have done.
This festival was huge and part of this trip was to camp for a few days as it was included with the festival.
As most people would know I am one for a bit more luxury and struggled with the camping scene and the lack of mirrors( gotta look good) and would of rounded out about 6 hours sleep for the 2 nights tahnks to the great people partying and playing music at 6am when Cam has just drifted off.
Goldfrapp my no.1 show


And silver pants to match


I also had the chance to go to one of the best clubs in Belgium with a friend and jumped at the oppurtinity to bust some moves and have a look at what a typical Belgie club is like.
Well............. Its goes something like this,very loud, lots of people OK music but still just on a Ipod shuffle mix,lots of women and lots of men wanting to be with them,me who just busted a few minor moves and had a few random conversations, a VIP room with no VIP people(myself included) and alot of wannabes....so it was your typical club which I really enjoyed even if I was half shagged from Pukkelpop.

Thats it for this update, I have a few exciting announcements to make in the coming weeks......though none will be an invitation to my wedding......damn Crystal!!!

Cam