Sunday, August 1, 2010

Leading to Lede

LEDE CRITERIUM 69KM

Friday night saw my first ever Criterium in Europe.Crits over here are not like the Crits of Aus,the race greeted me with a hard twisty circuit which included 8 corners and a distance of 69kms.
The good thing about this race was that I was paid 20 euro start money which is always good for the morale.
A nice large peleton as usual started the race and with a large crowd and mant supporters and fans of JoJo to set the scene for a great night.
We had to complete 30 laps of this challenging circuit which featured 2 small climbs and a rather nast high speed cobble section on a corner.
The race started off with the usual high speed start that I am becoming more than used to and we were suddenly strung out into single file,entering one of the last corners of the first lap I was pushed into the gutter at high speed and found myself hurtling out of control and preparing for a big crash......but somehow I found some skill and skidded my way out of harms way and back into the race.
With the speed in the high 50s I quickly settled into a rythym and rode around mid bunch as the big hitters attacked the living bajeebers out of us.
I found myself gaining most ground each lap on the cornered cobble section and finally found some use for my big butt(Butt Man) and was able to make a few places each lap.
Around half way and when I was feeling pretty good my rear wheel decided to have a bitch and I found myself with a rear flat...luckily for me I was allowed a lap out and got to enjoy an easy lap and enjoy the large crowd that had come out to enjoy the racing and also take in the random comments the crowd would yell to me as I looked for my spares man(comments which I had no idea what they were saying).
Unluckily for me as soon as I got my wheel change that was the lap the break was formed and I missed the chance to be in it(good excuse) as I had to go back to the main peleton.
After that the break of around 15 was gone and the rest of us attacked and attcked the living hell out eachover until the final lap were a crazy 40 man buch sprint was had, i wasnt feeling to brave and rolled in for a happy 32nd place.

The next day JoJo and I headed to Bambrugge for a 117km kermis and I had an off day and pulled the pin after 1 hour as the legs were saying no after the crit the previous night,JoJo hit some form and finished a hard 24th place in a quality field.

Thats racing for this week as I head to 3 days of racing at Stad Lokeron next week.

Till next post enjoy these photos from Lede criterium and Bambrugge Kermis and remember when in doubt..... ask what would Cam do?